# Tuesday, 24 November 2009

Chaya Devoira in hospital – a taste of times gone by (not a great taste either)

Ho hum, here we go again...

Just over a week ago (17th Nov for the date fans), the Boss took Chaya Devoira to the doctor as she had a temperature and was feeling under the weather. The doctor gave her some antibiotics, and told her to keep an eye on things.

Fast-forward to Shabbos, and Chaya Devoira hadn’t really picked up. If anything, she was worse than before. She still had a temperature, and was very listless and floppy. She hardly ate and just wanted to be cuddled (mind you, that’s normal!).

After Shabbos, we called the doctor who examined her and decided he wasn’t happy with her high breathing rate. He sent us down to the paediatric accident and emergency department of the local hospital for further investigation. A&E is the greatest place to be on motzei Shabbos, but it wasn’t as bad as it could have been. As it was a children’s A&E, we were spared the drunken louts that populated the next door adult A&E section.

After connecting her to a SATs machine (see this old blog post for our first encounter with a SATs machine), the doctor decided that her oxygen saturation levels were too low. They sped her into a cubicle, and put her in an oxygen supply. This brought her levels back up to an acceptable level, and we all breathed a sigh of relief.

To cut an increasingly long story short, she was admitted to the hospital later that evening, and went into the high dependency unit (HDU), where she was plugged up to the old familiar monitors.

By morning, they had identified the problem as bronchiolitis (see this old blog post for more about bronchiolitis), which is pretty much the same as last winter. They administered antibiotics, and so began the old familiar routine.

On Sunday, she seemed a little better, and was even interested in playing a little. She sat herself up for the first time in several days, and we even managed a few giggles.

Yesterday (Monday) she was deemed well enough to be moved out of HDU, but as they had not yet identified which strain of bronchiolitis she has, they put her into a cubicle instead of on the main ward. This is good for the Boss, as the main ward was fairly full, and consequently fairly noisy. She was getting little enough sleep in HDU, and would have got even less on the main ward.

She was managed most of her waking hours off the oxygen, but still needed it for feeding and sleeping. She was still on an IVU drip as they were trying to reduce the amount of milk she had, as a full tummy presses up on the lungs and makes it harder to breathe.

Today she was off the IV, and back on full feeds. To our dismay, she had a harder time keeping her oxygen levels up, and we feared that this meant that she was struggling with the bronchiolitis. During the morning, a doctor popped in who was on the ward when she was born. He was actually the doctor who told us that she had Down’s Syndrome in the first place, as was very proud of the fact that he could pronounce her name correctly! Apparently there is a “ch” sound in Urdu, and he was going around correcting the nurses who were calling her all sorts of strange variations.

Anyway, this doctor sais that the lower oxygen levels today could be that the mucus in her lungs is detaching itself, which is blocking her up. Whilst this sounds like a bad thing, it’s actually a positive sign, as it is the first stage towards clearing her lungs completely. Apparently the mucus detaches, then either gets coughed up, or absorbed into the body (not exactly sure of the medical details here), so even though it’s causing her slight problems, it’s a first step towards getting rid of it.

It’s funny how we had put this whole part of her life out of our minds, and how quickly it all came back again. We had naively assumed that she wouldn’t have such problems after her heart operation, but it seems we were wrong. Here I am again playing Mummy (with a lot of help from Nechoma Bryna and my mother).

As usual, every cloud has a silver lining, and despite the fact that I’m run off my feet and exhausted, the extra time I’ve spent with the children has been marvellous. It’s also been quite cathartic being forced away from work and the computer. Apart from two e-mails, I think this is the first time I’ve used the computer properly since last Wednesday. On the one hand, my work is suffering, and I had things that needed doing, but on the other, I’m kind of enjoying ignoring it!

Anyway, got to go. A housewife’s work is never done you know :-)

#    Comments [0] |
Comments are closed.