# Monday, 06 October 2008

I used to like rollercoasters!

Well, just when we thought we had settled into a nice peaceful routine, we got free tickets to a White Knuckle Ride all of our own! For those of you who have enough sense not to know what one of those is, it's the sort of ride at an amusement park that makes people's stomachs do weird things that you don't want to discuss over dinner!

Anyway, on Friday (3rd Sept, warm and sunny), the Boss took Chaya Devoira back to the hospital for what was supposed to be a routine blood test. This should have taken an hour or so, leaving plenty of time to get them home before Shabbos. We were all looking forward to her first Shabbos at home. It seems that Hakodosh Boruch Hu had other ideas!

It turned out that they couldn't get any blood, as Chaya Devoira's body temperature was too low. They put her in an incubator for half an hour to warm her up, but found that this didn't help. Concerned at her inability to hold a safe temperature, they decided to keep her in for observation for 24 hours. So, a mere three hours before Shabbos, we found out that Mummy and Chaya Devoira would be spending the third of the three Shabbosos of her life in hospital. Obviously, there was a lot to do, as we had not made any plans at all for this. Somehow, we managed to get everything organised, and had Shabbos as ready as it could be under the circumstances at home, and food and supplies with them in the hospital. The mood in the house was a little subdued to say the least.

Around 5:30pm (about an hour before Shabbos), they transferred them to the Royal Manchester Children's Hospital with Chaya Devoira in an incubator, and an ambulance with sirens blaring. I guess this would have been an exciting experience under other circumstances, but unfortunately the Boss wasn't in the right mood to enjoy it. As it happened, I was ill that Friday and Shabbos (been running on adrenaline for too long), and so didn't walk to see them on Shabbos afternoon, which was a good job as I thought they were in an entirely different hospital altogether! They didn't get to the ward in time to ring me before Shabbos to let me know where they were.

Anyway, once there, they hooked Chaya Devoira up to a monitor that checked all sorts of things, and kept an eye on what she was doing. On of the things they monitored was the saturation of oxygen in her blood. In a healthy person, this should be between 90% and 100%, but is allowed to go down to about 80% without too much cause for alarm.

As the Boss tried to feed her, alarms went off as the level plummeted to around 40% (pretty dangerous). They quickly put her on an oxygen feed, and whizzed her off to the cardiac unit where they did various x-rays and scans. The result of this was something we had feared, but had thought we had avoided. We had been told that a common problem with Down's Syndrome babies is a heart murmur, which their initial checks had not found. It seems that she has a large hole between the two main ventricles of her heart, as well as a smaller hole, and a vein that would normally have disappeared at birth. This all adds up to open heart surgery within the next few months.

Bear in mind that I knew nothing at all about this, as this was all late on Friday night. I had retired to bed early, feeling decidedly ill, safe in the (incorrect) knowledge that they were merely keeping an eye on her body temperature. The Boss was alone in the hospital, faced with the prospect of major heart surgery on our little princess, with no-one to hug. Needless to say, hers was not a happy Shabbos.

When we arrived after Shabbos, Chaya Devoira was wired up with an electric blanket, an oxygen feed, various monitors and scanners, and a tube going up her nose so that they could feed her directly, without interrupting her breathing. The poor little mite looked so small surrounded by all those tubes and wires. Yes, I cried.

Anyway, the next 12 hours were tense to say the least. Boruch Hashem a thousand times over, by Sunday morning, she had managed to keep her oxygen levels stable, her body temperature up enough, and seemed to gaining a little weight from the tube feeding. One benefit of that method of feeding is that they can make sure she gets enough milk, which had been a major problem until then. Due to her small size (and other factors), she didn't have much strength to feed, so wasn't taking in enough milk to have energy to feed, which meant she didn't get enough milk... and so on in a vicious circle. The direct feeding through the tube had broken this cycle, and had enabled her to take in enough milk to gain a little strength.

During Sunday she managed to take two proper natural feeds from the Boss. This was one of the most significant acts of her little life so far.

She didn't feed so much today (Monday), but had a good one about 8:30pm this evening. It's still too early to say for sure, but if things continue like this, we are hoping that she will soon be stable enough to come home. We don't want to get our hopes up too much, but she seems to be gaining a little strength. She has been more awake and alert, which is a good sign.

Not really much more to add. We are still waiting for the results of some tests to see if she has a virus (suspected, but probably not B"H), a defective thyroid gland (suspected and quite likely, but B"H fairly easy to sort out with regular medicine), as well as the pre-existing jaundice problem. That seemed to take a back seat with the events of the weekend, but is still with us. If her thyroid gland isn't functioning correctly, then it would help explain the jaundice, and should give another way of combating it.

OK, it's way past my bed time (whatever that is), so I'm going to leave it here. I just want to add a huge "thank you" to everyone who has sent such wonderful words of encouragement. Just knowing that you are all thinking of us makes a huge difference. Apologies for not replying to you all individually, but my time in front of the computer these days is usually restricted to a few grabbed moments before I crawl into bed.

I just want to end with an observation. Someone asked me how things were yesterday morning. When I had explained the situation, he groaned and said "Oy, what a way to start the year." I thought about this for a moment, and politely corrected him. We are in the intense period between Rosh Hashono and Yom Kippur. Every Jew is being judged in the Heavenly Court, and we are being called to account for our actions. What we need more than anything right now are merits. Our little bundle of wonderfulness has brought an unbelievable amount of chessed, mitzvos, love, unity and kindness into our community. We have been the recipients of an unbridled outpouring of the sort of support that only a frum community could provide. We have been carried on eagles' wings, not needing to think about anything other than Chaya Devoira. All of our needs have been taken care of. What an amazing start to the year! How could Hashem Yisborach fail to be impressed by the selfless acts of so many people? We have someone sleeping in the hospital right now so that the Boss can come home and get a good night's sleep. Where else do you find such a thing? Sure, we have some worries, but just look at what she has brought into the world. This little lady could well have been responsible for swinging the scales of Divine justice our way. I'm so proud of her!

#    Comments [0] |
# Thursday, 02 October 2008

Latest news on Chaya Devoira

Been a hectic couple of weeks! Between the appearance of Chaya Devoira, a house full of builders (yeah I know, bad timing eh?) and Yom Tov, I've hardly had time to think. I've just got ten minutes now to add a post here before I get back to my washing, cleaning, organising supper, etc. I'm learning how hard it is to be a Mummy, and appreciating once again how much she does the rest of the time!

Anyway, they finally came home from hospital on Tuesday 21st Sept, one week and two hours after the Boss went in. Everyone was delighted to see them, even though they spent a lot of time hiding upstairs trying to get some rest. Chaya Devoira was turning a delightful shade of yellow, which was actually a cause for concern as she is small. She was sleeping pretty much the whole time, and not feeding a lot, which wasn't helping her fight the jaundice.

As a result, we had a call from the midwife on Friday morning who told us to get Chaya Devoira into the hospital without delay, as there was a doctor waiting to see her. To cut a long story short, she and the Mrs ended up in hospital again until Sunday afternoon. They had had her (Chaya Devoira, not the Mrs) under a UV light for 24 hours, and had got the jaundice levels down below the treatment level, and were happy that she was OK to come home.

About 18 hours later (Monday morning, erev Rosh Hashono), the midwife rang and said that the previous day's blood test had shown increased levels again, and they might have to go back into hospital. On top of the stress and emotional upheaval so far, this wasn't what she wanted to hear.

We spent the next couple of hours saying Tehillim, and B"H had another call to say that they would let her stay home and she how she got on. The midwife came in over Rosh Hashono to do some more blood tests. It seems that the levels are still too high, and we have to take her to the Special Care Unit tomorrow to have yet more tests. The poor little thing has had so many blood tests, that they are having difficulty finding a place to insert a needle. Coupled with her small size, which makes finding a vein hard in the first place, we are feeling for her.

Chaya Devoira 1st Oct 08

Anyway, on the positive side, everyone dotes on her, and she rarely gets put down (as long as the Boss allows). We don't have a shortage of people willing to look after her! Aryeh Yehuda even offered to take her at 3am when she wakes up! Given the problems I have waking him up at 6:30am on a normal day, I'm not sure how successful an idea this would be, but the thought was nice.

For those that haven't heard yet, I should mention that we had confirmation that Chaya Devoira has Down's Syndrome. The doctor suspected this when she was born, due to a slight slant in her eyes, and a couple of other signs that they recognise. It took some time for the tests to be done and results confirmed. Right at the moment, the only real difference it makes are a few more blood tests (like she's not had enough yet), and a heart scan in a couple of weeks.

It's funny in a way, as Nechoma Bryna told me just a few weeks ago that she wanted to work with Special Care children, and now she has the chance of in-house experience. As it happens, I made some enquiries about it myself a few months ago. I have been considering a change of career (fed up of computers), and think that this is an area that I would find rewarding. Again, I have the chance for some first-hand experience!

Some people have felt a bit awkward when we have mentioned the subject, so it's worth mentioning that we do not see this as a bad thing in any way. She is still our baby, and we feel about her just the same as we do about the others. She will have her own special requirements, but the truth is that every child has their own special requirements. Each one has to be treated as they need, as Shlomo HaMelech so wisely put it in Mishlei (Proverbs) 22:6 "Raise the child according to his/her way."

The Torah attitude to such children is actually very different from the secular one. Everyone comes into this world to achieve a certain purpose, and when we have done that, we return to Hakodosh Boruch Hu. Just as you give a worker only the tools he needs to complete a job, Hakodosh Boruch Hu only gives each neshomo the tools it needs to achieve its task here. Sometimes, a neshomo comes into the world that is so elevated already, that it does not need a great deal of tools to complete its task. Such neshomos come to the world as special needs children. Yes they are special, but in a much more fundamental way than the world at large considers. We are privileged (and yes, a little nervous) to have been entrusted with such a precious neshomo. The great Torah leader the Chazon Ish zt"l would stand up whenever he saw a Down's Syndrome person. He said that one should show great respect for such a lofty neshomo.

I should counter all that with the admission that we are nervous. We have little idea of what is ahead, and we know that it is going to be a hard road. Having said that, talking to other people in the same position, it seems that the rewards are infinitely greater. Apparently Hakodosh Boruch Hu thinks we are strong enough to cope, so we aren't going to argue!

The children took the news with surprising maturity. Their attitude was simply that she is special, and we need to give her even more love and care than we would have done anyway. They are very upbeat and open about it.

Anyway, I have used up far more than the ten minutes I had allocated! I have to go and get Simcha from playgroup, and the next two from school. I will end with a picture of Chana Liba (straight after a bath, hence the pyjamas and wet hair) holding Chaya Devoira...

Chana Liba holding Chaya Devoira 25th Sept 08
#    Comments [0] |
# Monday, 22 September 2008

Baby update - she's got a name!

We named our new baby yesterday (Shabbos). She is now called Chaya Devoira, after my grandmother (known to all as either Bim, or Auntie Chaya, depending on who you are!) whose second yortzeit was just a week before the baby was born.

The Boss and baby (sorry, Chaya Devoira) are still in hospital, but both seem to be doing fine. Thankfully, Chaya Devoira has decided that sleeping the whole time isn't such a clever idea, and actually opens her eyes sometimes. She's also decided that feeding has its benefits, and deigns to do so once in a while. Still not as much as we'd like, but she seems to be getting there.

Huge thanks to all those who sent e-mails with mazel tovs and the like. Very much appreciated.

#    Comments [0] |
# Friday, 19 September 2008

Mazel tov - new baby girl

After a rather stressful couple of days in hospital, and an emergency caesarean, the Mrs produced a lovely little baby girl this morning at 11:31am. She weighed 5lbs 8ozs, which is 2.5Kg for those newfangled metric people.

Here is a picture of her...

new baby girl

B"H both of them seem fine, considering the circumstances. The Mrs is whacked out and exhausted, and the baby sleeps all the time. Me? I'm not tired, I've forgotten what that means!

#    Comments [0] |
# Monday, 15 September 2008

PSG children video

I just discovered Animoto, which is a great site that allows you to upload some pictures, choose some music and create a 30-second video. Here was my first attempt...

Not bad for about two minutes' effort!

For those that love YouTube, you can watch it there instead.

#    Comments [0] |
# Tuesday, 12 August 2008

Camp Broughton Mews

The boys from the Mews decided to go camping tonight. Apparently this happens every year. Our boys were invited to join the camp, which was a good job as it was in our garden!

By pure hashgocho, I had brought our tent from where some of our stuff is still stored, so between them they had three tents.

These went up in a friendly fashion, with all the tent entrances forming a neat little courtyard...

boys camping

Shortly after this picture was taken, it started to rain. However, when I say rain, I don't just mean ordinary rain, this was rain on a Biblical scale! The bottom of Legh Street was about six inches under water (no, that's not an exaggeration), and the garden was a swamp. This did nothing to dampen their enthusiasm though.

That pile of shoes outside the tents was forgotten in the rush to close the tent entrances, so I don't think any of them are going anywhere tomorrow! That's assuming that their shoes haven't floated away on all this rain ;-)

It's now 9pm. Let's see how many of them actually stay the night there.

9:04pm... Well, it seems my prediction wasn't as far from the mark as it might have been. Our two boys just came in soaking wet. The rain came right through the outer cover and into the tent. They abandoned the plan for the night. Apparently, there are still a few boys out there, mainly because they are too scared to come in! I might have to take a boat across the garden and rescue them.

11pm... Eliyohu braved it again at 9:30pm, and most of the other boys either stayed or went out with him. Aryeh Yehuda is still hanging around in the house, trying to decide if he's going back out as well. Either way, I don't think there's going to be much sleeping there tonight!

Midnight... Aryeh Yehuda finally went out and joined the party at around 11:30pm. One of the boys has taken a tape player out, so there's something that could loosely be described as music blaring out at high volume, together with a whole pile of highly excitable boys, shouting, laughing and having fun. And why not eh? Night night, I want some sleep even if they don't :-D

The following morning... It seems they all lasted through the night, although I don't think they got much sleep. All in all, an interesting experience for them!

#    Comments [0] |
# Thursday, 07 August 2008

New born baby care - the right way and the wrong way

I just came across this lovely article on the right and wrong way to look after a baby. Even if you're not interested in babies, have a look at the Right/Wrong pictures, they're really funny!

#    Comments [0] |
# Tuesday, 29 July 2008

When it's all too much...

Sometimes life just gets to be to much to handle. You've done all the playing you can manage in one morning, you've sat on Mummy's knee and had a cuddle, and then you sit down on the floor to have a tantrum about something totally insignificant.

The result...

Simcha asleep on the kitchen floor

I never thought of the kitchen floor as such a great place for a shloff, but it looks like Simcha disagreed!

Update 11th Aug 08... She did it again. This time she sneaked off upstairs and took her "guggle" from her cot. Captivated by the guggle and the book she found, she fell asleep on her bedroom floor...

Simcha asleep on her bedroom floor
#    Comments [0] |
# Thursday, 17 July 2008

Alien abduction - or not! Mobile 'phones are evil

Alien Abduction

Yes, I was messing, but it was worth it! I just came across this video. Well worth watching right to the end.

Click the little triangle in the lower left corner of the player above, not the big triangle in the middle.

Mobile 'phones are evil

This second video is weird. If you have a mobile 'phone, you must watch this and realise that you are letting evil into your life...

#    Comments [0] |
# Thursday, 03 July 2008

Would this make YOU stop drinking?

My father-in-law just sent me this. Apparently, it was a poster displayed in 1919, just before prohibition started...

Lips That Touch Liquor Shall Not Touch Ours

Would that make YOU give up the evil drink? Not much incentive eh?

#    Comments [0] |